The Arkansas Department of Health regulates the sale of food at establishments which include restaurants, bars, daycares, schools, grocery stores, convenience stores, bed and breakfast facilities, hotels/motels, mobile units and concession stands. Inspections are made unannounced by environmental health specialists.
Electronic copies of retail food inspection reports are available on the Arkansas Food Inspection Portal. To access the portal, visit the food protection page on the Arkansas Department of Health website at www.healthy.arkansas.gov.
The following are the results of food safety inspections conducted by the Jefferson County Health Unit:
• Kentucky Fried Chicken, 401 N. Blake St. Date of inspection Oct. 27. Observation: Need chlorine test strips to ensure proper sanitizing solution concentration. Observation: Drain needs to be cleaned.
• CB Market, P.O. Box 121, Wabbaseka. Date of inspection Nov. 3. TCS foods shall be thawed using an approved method.
• Little Caesar’s, 5801 Dollarway Road, Suite B. Date of inspection Nov. 3. Pizza in boxes observed being stored directly on walk in cooler floor. Pizza in boxes in the walk in cooler should be stored at least six inches off of the ground. Pizza was taken off of the ground during inspection. Time is not being properly kept on pizza sitting on racks near prep table. Time was placed on pizza during inspection. Observed cardboard boxes lining flour shelf. Cardboard boxes should not line shelf of flour or any nonfood contact surfaces of equipment that are exposed to food soiling. Observed seasonings being stored on rack out of their original package with no label. Seasoning not in original package should be labeled with the common name of the food it contains. Outside of food equipment and flour shelf are unclean and need to be cleaned.
• Old School, 101 W. Second St., Altheimer. Date of inspection Nov. 3. Observation: No current health permit posted.
• The Chicken House, 308 S. First St., Wabbaseka. Date of inspection Nov. 3. Need more lighting in establishment. Gloves should be used on ready to eat foods.
• Aisha’s - mobile, 2707 W. Eighth Ave. Date of inspection Nov. 2. Observation: Need chlorine test strips to ensure proper sanitizing solution concentration. Observation: No water available in mobile unit. Chicken must stored properly in cooler.
• Circle N 65-81 Truck Stop, 4711 B U.S. 65. Date of inspection Nov. 2. Food being stored in self service warmer and hot dog buns should be individually packaged to prevent contamination by consumer. Need test strips to test sanitizer strength. Three compartment sink is unclean and needs to be cleaned. Freezer door seal is broken and needs to be repaired. Soda machine is leaking and needs to be repaired. Shelf in kitchen holding cooking equipment and chip shelves are unclean and needs to be cleaned. Observed ice scoop being stored directly on shelf near ice machine. Ice scoop should be stored in a way to prevent contamination. Some hot holding temperatures out of safe temperature range (must be 135 degrees F or above). Observed used wiping cloths sitting out on counter tops. Wiping cloths should be kept in a sanitizer solution between use. Floors in kitchen are unclean and need to be cleaned. Wall vents and ceiling in establishment are unclean and need to be cleaned.
• Lavender’s Barn, 4501 U.S. 65 South. Date of inspection Nov. 2. Observed fish being thawed sitting in the sink. Food should be thawed using an approved method. Employee ran cool water over fish during inspection. Light shields in kitchen and wall behind vent hood are unclean and need to be cleaned. Sliced deli meats and food prepared on site and held for more than 24 hours observed with no date mark in the cooler. Sliced deli meats and food prepared on site and held for more than 24 hours should be properly date marked. Food was date marked during inspection. Seals on cooler and deep freezer door are broken and need to be repaired. Personal fans in kitchen are unclean and need to be cleaned.
• Ocean’s Fish and Chicken, 1422 S. Cherry St. Date of inspection Nov. 2. Must use single service items in accordance to regulations. Ice scoop in a different area not in ice. Observation: All trash cans need lids. Only need lids if they contain food residue and are not in continuous use. Provide a supply of individual disposable towels or a continuous towel system that supplies the user with a clean towel or a heated-air drying device at each handwashing sink in food preparation, toilet and warewashing areas. Observation: Need chlorine test strips to ensure proper sanitizing solution concentration. Food in walk-in cooler should be stored at least six inches off the the floor.
• Speedway, 1420 S. Cherry St. Date of inspection Nov. 2. Observation: A valid permit must be posted in view of the public. Observation: Need to clean counter tops in establishment.
• New York Restaurant & Karaoke Grill, 2221 S. Olive St. Suite G. Date of inspection Nov. 1. Need more lighting in establishment.
• Touch of Elegance Bakery, 3015 W. 28th Ave. Date of inspection Nov. 1. Chemical bottle observed being stored next to food equipment. Chemical bottles should be stored separate from food equipment. Chemical bottle was moved during inspection. Vent on wall near the hand washing sink is unclean and needs to be cleaned. Vent was taken off and cleaned during inspection. Current health permit should be posted. Some ceiling tiles in dry storage are damaged and need to be replaced.
• La Petite Preparatory School, 704 Linden St. Date of inspection Oct. 31. No current health permit posted. Thermometer is needed in small refrigerator.
• Redwood Inn, 8006 Sheridan Road, White Hall. Date of inspection Oct. 31. Two compartment sink noted in kitchen area. Need a three compartment sink for manual ware washing. Need test strips to test sanitizer strength.
• Jenkins Memorial School, 2410 Rike St. Date of inspection Oct. 30. Observed employee drying dishes with a cloth. After cleaning and sanitizing dishes should be air dried. Wall behind oven is unclean and needs to be cleaned. Observed raw, frozen beef being stored above precooked foods in freezer. Raw meat should be stored below precooked foods. Raw meat was moved below precooked foods during inspection. Opened deli meats and food prepared on site observed in refrigerator with no date mark. Opened deli meats and food prepared on site held for more than 24 hours should be date marked and discarded after 7 days. Food was date marked or thrown out during inspection. Outside of refrigerator is unclean and needs to be cleaned.
• Southeast Arkansas Behavioral Healthcare, 2500 Rike Drive. Date of inspection Oct. 30. Chemicals observed near single service napkins. Chemicals should be stored separate from single service items. Chemicals were moved away from single service items during inspection.