A Pine Bluff man who was found shot to death Thursday afternoon has been identified, and the man accused of shooting him will be held without bond pending the filing of formal charges.


Jefferson County Coroner Chad Kelley identified the victim as Patrick McKenzie, 29, after pronouncing him dead at the scene at 5:25 p.m. Kelley said the body was sent to the State Medical Examiner’s Office at Little Rock for an autopsy Friday.


The man accused of shooting McKenzie, Antonio Bailey, 22, also of Pine Bluff, made his first court appearance in Pine Bluff District Court Friday morning, where Judge John Kearney ruled prosecutors have probable cause to charge him with capital murder.


According to a probable cause affidavit from Pine Bluff Detective Tamina Smith, McKenzie’s body was found after Officer Natalie McCool was sent to 707 W. Pullen St. in reference to a body in Lake Saracen. When McCool arrived at the scene, she found the body lying on the south bank of the lake. McCool also located a witness who was standing in a parking lot near the scene.


The witness told police he was with McKenzie and Bailey as they walked in the area near the lake and said Bailey asked them to help him look for his money he lost near the bank of the lake. The witness said an altercation broke out between McKenzie and Bailey, which led to Bailey shooting at McKenzie, who was hit twice in the right shoulder, as he attempted to flee.


Smith also reported that McKenzie and Bailey started fighting while in the water, and Bailey held McKenzie’s head under water until he was unconscious. Bailey then ran to 707 Pullen Street and went in the back door of the business. He was taken into custody from inside the back residential area of the business wearing only his underwear.


After being read his rights and acknowledging that he understood them, Bailey denied being with McKenzie on Thursday and said he had been involved in a fight but it was with another man he did not want to name. He said he went to 707 W. Pullen St. and went to sleep on the couch after the fight. Later, he said he had not been with anyone Thursday. His wet clothes were located inside the residence after the owner gave permission to search.


In May 2014, Bailey, who was 18 at the time, was arrested after being identified as one of three men who had robbed Popeye’s Chicken at 2700 S. Olive St. Bailey, who worked at the business, was identified by another employee.


Also arrested was Otis Daniels, 18, who was taken into custody behind Domino’s Pizza at 2300 S. Olive St., and who had cash and rolled coins in his pocket.