The deadline to apply for community beautification funding through the Greening of Arkansas grant program is Oct. 3. Recipients will be announced in December.
The grant program, now in its 12th year, is funded through proceeds from the Arkansas Flower and Garden Show. The show will celebrate its 28th year March 1-3, 2019, at the Arkansas State Fairgrounds.
Mary Beth Rogers, executive director for the Arkansas Flower and Garden Show, said the Greening of Arkansas grant committee will award as much as $2,500 to the winning applicants.
“The Greening of Arkansas Grant is a great opportunity for a civic group or community to beautify a space with an ornamental garden,” Rogers said. “It’s amazing the difference a few well placed shrubs and ornamentals can make in an area. Since the grant was started in 2006, we have seen some wonderful projects that have truly enhanced an otherwise unwelcoming space.”
The general requirements for applying for a Greening of Arkansas grant include:
• The applicant must be a nonprofit, community-based or civic organization located in Arkansas;
• Grant award funds may only be used for the project defined in the project description, at least 60 percent of which must be spent on plant material;
• The project must be on public property;
• Recipients of a Greening of Arkansas grant must wait at least two years before applying for the grant again;
• The application must include the application form, as well as a summary of the project, maintenance plan and an image of the proposed site. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
To learn more about the grant program and to download an application, visit https://argardenshow.org/about/greening-of-arkansas-grant-program/.