The Arkansas Department of Health regulates the sale of food at establishments which include restaurants, bars, daycares, schools, grocery stores, convenience stores, bed and breakfast facilities, hotels/motels, mobile units and concession stands. Inspections are made unannounced by environmental health specialists.
Electronic copies of retail food inspection reports are available on the Arkansas Food Inspection Portal. To access the portal, visit the food protection page on the Arkansas Department of Health website at www.healthy.arkansas.gov.
The following are the results of food safety inspections conducted by the Jefferson County Health Unit:
• Ermer’s Learning Academy Inc., 4006 Barraque St. Date of inspection July 27. Observed improper thawing method. Foods shall be thawed using an approved method. Food was placed in cooler corrected during time inspection.
• Laugh N Learn Childcare Center, 2100 S. Blake St. Date of inspection July 27. Some food in refrigerator is out of safe temperature range. Time/Temperature Control for Safety (TCS) Foods shall be kept cold at a temperature of 41.0°F or below, as measured by an internal probe thermometer, to limit bacterial growth. Drainboards should be provided near three compartment sink for soiled and clean dishes.
• Laugh N Learn Childcare Center, 2100 S. Blake St. Date of follow-up inspection Aug. 6. No violations reported.
• Papa John’s Pizza, 3800 Camden Road, #310. Date of inspection July 27. Observed peppers not covered. During preparation, unpackaged food shall be protected from environmental sources of contamination. Person in charge covered peppers with lid. Observation: Observed trash cans without no lid. All trash cans shall have lids. Only need lids if they contain food residue and are not in continuous use.
• Awesome Lil Wonders, 501 W. Second Ave. Date of inspection July 26. Observation: Establishment need testing strips to measure the concentration of the sanitizing solution. Corrective Action: Test strips must be available and used to test the strength of chemical sanitizing solutions.
• Kentucky Fried Chicken, 2707 W. 28th Ave. Date of inspection July 26. Shelf in between walk-in cooler and walk-in freezer is unclean and needs to be cleaned. Walls and ceiling tiles/vents throughout facility are unclean and need to be cleaned. Floors throughout establishment, especially under all equipment and shelving, in walk-in cooler and freezer, and by ware-washing area, are unclean and need to be cleaned. Several floor tiles throughout kitchen and in walk-in cooler and walk-in freezer are missing and need to be replaced.
• Kwik Chek, 800 N. Bryant St. Date of inspection July 25. Observation: All employee drinks in the food preparation area must have a lid and a straw. (Specific observation here) Corrective Action: Discontinue consuming food, use of unapproved beverage containers, or use of tobacco in food preparation or ware-washing area. Observed paper cups being stored on the floor. Shall be stored at least six inches above the floor. Must use single service items in accordance to regulations. Observation: No current health permit posted. Corrective Action: It is unlawful to operate a retail food establishment without a valid permit. Contact the billing office at 501-661-2171 to ensure that you are in compliance with the law.
• Covenant Recovery Inc., 3201 W. Pullen St. Date of follow-up inspection Aug. 6. No violations reported. All critical violations were corrected during time of follow-up inspection.
• Oceans Fish and Chicken, 2611 W. 28th Ave. Date of inspection into complaint Aug. 7. No critical violations were observed during time of inspection.