The Arkansas Department of Health regulates the sale of food at establishments which include restaurants, bars, daycares, schools, grocery stores, convenience stores, bed and breakfast facilities, hotels/motels, mobile units and concession stands. Inspections are made unannounced by environmental health specialists.
Electronic copies of retail food inspection reports are available on the Arkansas Food Inspection Portal. To access the portal, visit the food protection page on the Arkansas Department of Health website at www.healthy.arkansas.gov.
The following are the results of food safety inspections conducted by the Jefferson County Health Unit:
• Nita’s Fun Food, 3225 Canal Drive, White Hall. Date of opening inspection Aug. 21. OK to operate- permit given.
• Jack Robey Junior High, 4101 Olive St. Date of inspection into complaint Aug. 21. No violations pertaining to complaint during time of inspection.
• Red Lobster, 3000 Pines Mall Drive. Date of inspection into complaint Aug. 16. No violations reported.
• Mazzio’s Italian Eatery, 8110 Sheridan Road, White Hall. Date of inspection July 31. Some cold holding temperatures in walk in cooler, pizza prep cooler, and cooler across from pizza oven are out of safe temperature range. Time/Temperature Control for Safety (TCS) Foods shall be kept cold at a temperature of 41.0°F or below, as measured by an internal probe thermometer, to limit bacterial growth. Observed food in boxes in dry storage and walk in freezer being stored directly on the floor. Food should be stored at least 6 inches off of the floor. Observed some used wiping cloths sitting on counter tops. Wiping cloths should be kept in a sanitizer solution between use. Seal on pizza prep cooler doors are damaged and need to be repaired. Shelves throughout kitchen, especially in dry storage, walk in cooler, and by pizza prep cooler, are unclean and need to be cleaned. Floors throughout facility, especially in dry storage room, walk in freezer, and under shelving and equipment, and ceiling are unclean and need to be cleaned. Light bulb in dry storage does not have a protective shield over it. Light bulb should be properly shielded or be shatterproof.
• Quapaw Hardy House, 7301 W. 13th Ave. Date of inspection July 31. No paper towels noted at hand washing sink. Provide a supply of individual disposable towels or a continuous towel system that supplies the user with a clean towel or a heated-air drying device at each hand washing sink in food preparation, toilet, and ware washing areas. Observed several cans in dry storage with a dent in the lip of the can. Cans with dent in the lip or seal of the can should be discarded. Damaged cans were discarded during inspection. Observed some dishes being air dried on wiping cloths. Dishes should not be air dried on wiping cloths. No chlorine and quat. test strips observed in establishment. Test strips must be available and used to test the strength of chemical sanitizing solutions. Flooring in the back of the dry storage room is unclean and needs to be cleaned.
• Hometown Nutrition, 7000 Jefferson Parkway, White Hall. Date of inspection July 30. Hand washing sink is leaking at the pipe and needs to be repaired.
• J-Mart Store, 13800 Dollarway Road, White Hall. Date of follow-up inspection July 30. Ice bags that contain ice packaged in the store are not labeled and should have a label with store information on them. Ice machine interior damaged and needs to be repaired. Three compartment sink is unclean and needs to be cleaned. Some parts of counter where drink machine is is unclean and needs to be cleaned. Restroom door does not have a self closure. Restroom door should be self closing. Some flooring and ceiling tiles are unclean and need to be cleaned. Some ceiling tiles in dry storage are missing or damaged and need to be replaced.