The Arkansas Department of Health regulates the sale of food at establishments which include restaurants, bars, daycares, schools, grocery stores, convenience stores, bed and breakfast facilities, hotels/motels, mobile units and concession stands. Inspections are made unannounced by environmental health specialists.
Electronic copies of retail food inspection reports are available on the Arkansas Food Inspection Portal. To access the portal, visit the food protection page on the Arkansas Department of Health website at www.healthy.arkansas.gov.
The following are the results of food safety inspections conducted by the Jefferson County Health Unit:
• Hardee’s, 2828 W. 28th Ave. Date of inspection Aug. 28. Observed trash cans containing food residue and not in continuous use being stored uncovered. Trash cans that contain food residue should be covered when not in continuous use. Wall behind fryers and grill and floors throughout establishment, especially under equipment, shelves, near service sink, and under service window drink station, are unclean and need to be cleaned. Ceiling vent by back door is unclean and needs to be cleaned. Some floor tiles in establishment are damaged and need to be replaced. Some parts of ceiling tiles are missing and need to be replaced.
• 34th Avenue Elementary School, 801 E. 34th Ave. Date of inspection Aug. 27. Hot water sanitizing temperature is not adequate at automatic dishwasher to sanitize dishes properly. Vent on ceiling in front of office in kitchen is visibly unclean and needs to be cleaned. 9
• New China Town, 2801 Olive St., Suite 9-A. Date of inspection Aug. 27. Observed employee slicing ready-to-eat oranges with bare hands. Ready-to-eat foods should be handled with gloves, spatulas, tongs, deli tissue, or other dispensing equipment. Observed raw meat being stored above ready-to-eat foods in walk in cooler. Raw meat should be stored below ready-to-eat food. Observed food being stored in walk in cooler, refrigerator, and prep area being stored uncovered. Food should be kept covered to prevent contamination. Observed visibly soiled tongs used to handle raw beef being stored above egg rolls. Tongs used to handle raw meats should not be stored above ready-to-eat foods. Observed employee washing utensils without sanitizing. Dishes should be properly washed, rinsed, and sanitized and allowed to air dry before use. Some hot holding temperatures in buffet are out of safe temperature range. Time/Temperature Control for Safety (TCS) Foods shall be kept hot at a temperature of 135.0°F or above, as measured by an internal probe thermometer, to limit bacterial growth. Some cold holding temperatures in prep area are out of safe temperature range. Time/Temperature Control for Safety (TCS) Foods shall be kept cold at a temperature of 41.0°F or below, as measured by an internal probe thermometer, to limit bacterial growth. Observed chicken thawing in sink full of water. Food should only be thawed using an approved method. Observed some containers of food throughout establishment being stored directly on the floor. Containers of food should be stored at least 6 inches off of the floor. Used wiping cloths observed sitting out on counter tops. Wiping cloths should be kept in a sanitizer solution between use at a concentration specified under. Observed dishes being washed and not properly air dried before using. Dishes should be air dried before using. Shelves near grill exposed to food soiling should not be lined with cardboard boxes. Some flooring near automatic dishwasher and seasoning storage areas are damaged and need to be repaired. Floors, walls, and ceilings throughout establishment, especially in walk in cooler, near vent hood, behind three compartment sink, under food storage shelves, and in dry storage, are unclean and need to be cleaned.
• Asian Grocery, 8504 Dollarway Road, White Hall. Date of inspection Aug. 24. Facility lacks refrigerator thermometer. Food temperature measuring devices should be provided for use in ensuring attainment and maintenance of food temperature. Observed boxes of food being stored on the floor in the walk in cooler and walk in freezer. Boxes of food should be stored at least 6 inches off of the floor. Three compartment sink is unclean and needs to be cleaned. Restroom door is not self closing. Restroom door should have a self closure on it. Floors in walk in cooler are unclean and floors in walk in freezer have an excess accumulation of ice and need to be cleaned.
• Dale’s Place, 14126 Dollarway Road, White Hall. Date of inspection Aug. 24. Facility lacks internal probe food thermometer and refrigerator thermometer. Food temperature measuring device shall be provided and readily accessible for use in ensuring attainment and maintenance of food temperature
• Ridgway Christian School, 3201 Ridgway Road. Date of inspection Aug. 24. Observed no paper towels at hand washing sink. Provide a supply of individual disposable towels or a continuous towel system that supplies the user with a clean towel or a heated-air drying device at each hand washing sink in food preparation, toilet and ware washing areas. Shield on ice machine needs to be cleaned. Ice machine shield shall be cleaned to sight. Shield was cleaned during time of inspection.
• Belair Middle School, P.O. Box 7678. Date of inspection Aug. 23. Floors in walk in cooler have an excess of ice accumulation- needs to be cleaned.
• Broadmoor Elementary School, 1106 S. Wisconsin St. Date of inspection Aug. 23. Observed fans with accumulation of debris. Nonfood contact surfaces of equipment shall be kept free of an accumulation of dust, dirt, food residue, and other debris.
• St. Peter’s Head Start, 1515 S. State St. Date of inspection Aug. 23. Time/Temperature Control for Safety (TCS) Foods shall be kept cold at a temperature of 41.0°F or below, as measured by an internal probe thermometer, to limit bacterial growth. No test strips observed in establishment. Test strips must be available and used to test the strength of chemical sanitizing solutions. Tubes that sanitizer dispenses out of in automatic dishwasher are unclean and need to be cleaned.