The Arkansas Department of Health regulates the sale of food at establishments which include restaurants, bars, daycares, schools, grocery stores, convenience stores, bed and breakfast facilities, hotels/motels, mobile units and concession stands. Inspections are made unannounced by environmental health specialists.
Electronic copies of retail food inspection reports are available on the Arkansas Food Inspection Portal. To access the portal, visit the food protection page on the Arkansas Department of Health website at www.healthy.arkansas.gov.
The following are the results of food safety inspections conducted by the Jefferson County Health Unit:
• Love’s Travel Shop, 4800 U.S. 65 S. Date of inspection Sept. 21. Observed a grill and food on ice outside being cooked and served without a proper screen to protect from the entry of pests. Grill and food should be protected from the entry of pests. Cabinet storing single use lids is unclean and need to be cleaned.
• Love’s Travel Shop/Chester’s, 4800 U.S. 65 S. Date of inspection Sept. 21. Seasoning near fryers in bulk bin out of its original package should be labeled with the common name of the food it contains. Observed used wiping cloths sitting out on counter tops. Wiping cloths should be kept in a sanitizer solution between use. Observed trash cans containing food residue not being covered when not in continuous use. Trash cans containing food residue should be covered when not in continuous use. Floors, especially around and under cooking equipment, are unclean and needs to be cleaned.
• Covenant Recovery, 2702 W. Second Ave. Date of inspection Sept. 20. Observation: All employee drinks in the food preparation area must have a lid and straw. (Specific observation here) Corrective Action: Discontinue consuming food, use of unapproved beverage containers, or use of tobacco in food preparation or ware-washing area.
• SMALLCAKES, 502 Mallard Loop. Date of inspection Sept. 20. Observed single use coffee container being reused to store cherries in stored in refrigerator. Single use containers should not be reused. Cherries were placed in a different container during inspection.
• Holiday Inn Express, 3620 Camden Road. Date of inspection Sept. 18. Observed food in hand-washing sink. The hand-washing sink shall be maintained so that it is accessible at all times for employee use, and do not use for purposes other than hand washing. Bulk container holding stored ingredients must be labeled with common name of food unless food can be un-mistakenly recognized. Food is being stored on floor. Should be stored at least six inches above the floor. Food was corrected during time of inspection. Observation: Observed an expired permit. Corrective Action: It is unlawful to operate a retail food establishment without a valid permit. Contact the billing office at 501-661-2171 to ensure that you are in compliance with the law.
• McDonald’s, 5501 Olive St. Date of inspection Sept. 18. Observed box of food in the walk-in freezer being stored uncovered. Food should be covered while storing to prevent contamination. Box was closed during inspection. Seal on the refrigerator door next to the ice maker is not sealing properly. The seal needs to be repaired or replaced to properly seal the door shut. Bottom of the prep refrigerator under prep station is unclean under the metal rack and needs to be cleaned. Floors, especially under the grill and fryer area, are unclean and need to be cleaned.
• The Family Diner, 116 S. Arkansas 365, Redfield. Date of inspection into complaint Sept. 18. Observation: Floors need to cleaned. Observation: Needs to clean blinds and lights fixtures. (Very little accumulation.)
• Wal mart Supercenter, deli/bakery, 5501 Olive St. Date of inspection Sept. 18. Trash cans containing food in bakery and deli areas are being stored uncovered while not in continuous use. Trash cans containing food should be covered while not in continuous use. Floor in the bakery prep and ware-washing area is unclean and needs to be cleaned.
• Wal mart Supercenter, food store, 5501 Olive St. Date of inspection Sept. 18. Floor drain cover by dairy coolers is broken and needs to be replaced.
• Coffee Jones Internet Cafe, 815 University Drive. Date of inspection into complaint Sept. 14. Temperature measuring device must be calibrated and accurate within the 1 degree if in Celsius and Fahrenheit or 3 degrees if only in Fahrenheit. Owner states she will get this corrected. Observation: Vent hood needs to serviced.
• Exxon One Stop, 2901 W. 28th Ave. Date of inspection Sept. 14. No paper towels observed at hand-washing sink in front or by three compartment sink. Paper towels needed at all hand-washing sinks. Paper towels were placed at hand-washing sinks during inspection. Observed sponge being stored in hand-washing sink by three compartment sink. Hand-washing sink should only be used for washing hands. Sponge was removed from hand-washing sink during inspection. Observed unlabeled ice bags containing ice in the store. Ice bags should be labeled with identifying information of the store. Observed single service foam cups being stored outside of their protective packaging at self-service drink station. Single service cups should be stored in original, protective packaging or by other means to protect them from contamination until being used. Observed a leak in the nozzle of the service sink. Nozzle should be repaired so that it does not leak. Walk-in freezer door is broken where door meets the wall next to handle and does not seal properly; needs to be repaired. Floor behind ice machine is unclean and needs to be cleaned.
• Klassic Kids Day Care, 2407 S. Cherry St. Date of follow-up inspection Sept. 14. Some temperatures in sliding door refrigerator in kitchen are out of safe temperature range. Time/Temperature Control for Safety (TCS) Foods shall be kept cold at a temperature of 41.0°F or below, as measured by an internal probe thermometer, to limit bacterial growth.