Editor’s Note: This article contains strong language.

Editor’s Note: This article contains strong language.

A police affidavit presented in court Thursday said Kenneth Burton admitted to hitting Antonio Jenkins in the head during an altercation at 212 W. Fourth Ave. — a blow the State Medical Examiner’s Office said resulted in Jenkins’ death.

“I did not know it would lead to this,” Burton allegedly said when he was questioned by Pine Bluff Police Department Detective Jerry Lambert.

During the court hearing, Deputy Prosecutor Maxie Kizer said Burton took a different tone when he spoke to a member of Jenkins’ family by telephone.

“Yeah, bitch, I knocked your punk-ass brother out and when I see you, I’m going to knock yo bitch ass out, too,” Kizer quoted the affidavit as saying.

Jenkins, 23, was found lying on a couch at 2813 S. Florida St. on Sunday when police and emergency medical personnel were called to the house at about 11:13 a.m. in response to a report of a man down.

Jefferson County Coroner Chad Kelley pronounced Jenkins dead at the scene at 11:53 a.m., and the body was sent to the State Medical Examiner’s Office for an autopsy Monday.

After the death, Kizer said police began to work backward and try to determine where Jenkins had been earlier and learned that he had gotten into an altercation with Burton at the old Greyhound Bus Station, which was being used as a nightclub.

Lambert said in the affidavit that relatives of Jenkins took him home after the altercation and when he was last seen, he was asleep and snoring on the couch. When they tried to wake him up Sunday, he was unresponsive.

Kizer said the investigation determined that Burton, 21, struck Jenkins in the head at least once and possibly more than once.

He also said Burton had previously been convicted of negligent homicide, a misdemeanor, in connection with the April 19, 2011, shooting death of Kadedra Washington, 16, who was a student at Pine Bluff High School.

Prosecutors had charged Burton with felony manslaughter, but the jury convicted him of a lesser charge, and he was sentenced to six months in the county jail. He was released after completing that sentence.

At the request of Prosecutor S. Kyle Hunter, Jefferson County District Judge Kim Bridgforth set a $100,000 bond for Burton after ruling that prosecutors had probable cause to charge him with second-degree murder.

Because of the alleged prior contact between Burton and a member of Jenkins’ family, Bridgforth ordered Burton to have no contact with any member of that family until the case is settled.