The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office has released the name of the deputy involved in a shooting incident July 5 at a nightclub on the north side of Pine Bluff.

The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office has released the name of the deputy involved in a shooting incident July 5 at a nightclub on the north side of Pine Bluff.

Investigator Randy Jackson, an eight-year veteran of the sheriff’s office who is assigned to the Tri-County Drug Task Force, was placed on administrative leave with pay following the incident at Swann’s Bar and Grill at 3003 W. Pullen St. that occurred about 3:30 a.m., sheriff’s office spokesman Maj. Lafayette Woods Jr. said in a press release.

Dedric Jones, 36, was shot once in the chest outside the business and was taken to Jefferson Regional Medical Center where he underwent surgery.

Woods said in the press release that Jones was transferred to the intensive care unit and at last report, was listed in stable condition.

"While this incident, as depicted by some because of speculation and/or their lack of knowledge of the incident certainly raises questions about the response of our investigator, it would be premature to draw any conclusions prior to the completion of an internal investigation," Woods said. "There are a number of witness statements, along with other evidence that will be evaluated as this internal investigation progresses.

"Until the completion of this investigation, it would be counterproductive to publicly discuss any further aspects of this case or draw any conclusions until this incident has been fully vetted," Woods said.

In addition to the internal investigation, Woods said a separate criminal investigation has been conducted and the case file sent to the prosecuting attorney’s office, which will review it and determine if the evidence in the file warrants the filing of any criminal charges against Jackson.

According to Pine Bluff Police Department reports on the incident, officers responded at 3:26 p.m. and found Jones on his hands and knees with a woman holding his chest. Jones did not respond to Officer Deaunuana Martin’s questions, but others present were able to identify him.

After Jones left in the ambulance, Martin interviewed a security guard at the bar who said two men exchanged words inside the club and he made them both leave. He saw one of the men get in a vehicle and leave. The security officer returned inside the club and heard a gunshot. He went back outside and saw Jones on the ground.

The security guard was able to identify Jackson by his first name and said he was wearing a badge. He also described his clothing and the vehicle he was driving, according to Martin’s report.

Martin spoke with Jones at the hospital. Jones did not know the shooter by name but provided a physical description.

In a supplemental PBPD report filed by Officer Kevin Kirk, he described going to Jackson’s apartment with other officers. They found Jackson coming down the stairs from an apartment with four other men. Jackson said he had talked to a PBPD sergeant and was coming in to talk, according to the report.

The officers on the scene disarmed Jackson without incident, according to the report. He was carrying a holstered handgun under his shirt. It had a 13-round magazine with 12 rounds in the magazine and one round in the chamber. The gun was turned over to a detective and Jackson was driven to the detective’s office for questioning.

Woods said following sheriff’s office protocol, Jackson will remain on administrative leave until the internal investigation is completed and has been reviewed by the sheriff and other administrators.