The U.S. Department of Agriculture National Agricultural Statistics Service's Crop Production Report

The U.S. Department of Agriculture National Agricultural Statistics Service’s Crop Production Report

was released Oct. 11 showing results from the 2012 October Ag Yield and Objective Yield Surveys.

The data are also posted at http://www.nass.usda.gov/ar .

Arkansas corn planted area is 710,000 acres, up 50,000 acres from June 2012 and up 150,000 acres from last year. Corn for grain production in Arkansas is forecast at 122 million bushels, up 65 percent fro 2011. If realized, this will be the largest corn crop in Arkansas history, ahead of 2007’s record high production of 99.7 million bushels. Based on conditions as of Oct. 1, yield is expected to average 177 bushels per acre, up 2 bushels from last month’s forecast and up 35 bushels from last year. If realized, this will be the largest corn yield on record for Arkansas. Producers expect to harvest 690,000 acres of corn for grain, up 8 percent from last month and up 33 percent from 2011.

Arkansas all cotton production is forecast as 1.25 million 480-pound bales, up 50,000 bales from the Sept. 1 forecast but down 2 percent from last year. Yield is expected to average 1,034 pounds per harvested acre, up 41 pounds from last month’s forecast and up 105 pounds from 2011. Harvested area is estimated at 580,00 acres, down 12 percent from 2011.

Arkansas all hay production, excluding alfalfa, is forecast at 1.58 million tons, down 29 percent from 2011. Based on conditions as of Oct. 1, 2012, yield is expected to average 1.1 tons per acre, up 0.2 ton from the Aug. 1 forecast but down 0.5 ton from last year. Producers expect to harvest 1.44 million acres of all hay, excluding alfalfa, up 4 percent from 2011.

The 2012 total rice production fro the state is forecast at 93.4 million hundredweight (cwt), up 1 percent from the Sept. 1 forecast and up 20 percent from last year’s production. Based on conditions as of Oct. 1, the all rice yield for 2012 is forecast at 7,300 pounds per acre, up 100 pounds from the Sept. 1 forecast and up 530 pounds from last year’s yield. Producers expect to harvest 1.28 million acres of rice, up 11 percent from 2011.

Arkansas sorghum planted area is 140,000 acres, up 20,000 acres from June 2012 and up 40,000 acres from 2011. Sorghum for grain production in 2012 is forecast at 10.9 million bushels, up 24 percent from the Sept. 1 forecast and up 69 percent from a year ago. Based on Oct. 1 conditions, yield is expected to average 84 bushels per acre, up 4 bushels from the Sept. 1 forecast and up 12 bushels per acre from last year. Area harvested for grain, at 130,000 acres, is up 20,000 acres from June 2012 and up 40,000 acres from 2011.

Arkansas soybean planted area is estimated at 3.2 million acres, down 50,000 acres from June 2012 and down 130,00 acres from 2011. Soybean production for Arkansas in 2012 is forecast at 123 million bushels, down 3 percent from a year go. Based on Oct. 1 conditions, yield is expected to average 39 bushels per acre, unchanged from last month’s forecast but up 0.5 bushel from last year. If realized, this will be the highest soybean yield on record, equal to the 2004 yield of 39 bushels per acre. Area for harvest, at 3.15 million acres, is down 4 percent form 2011.

The National Agricultural Statistics Service’s Arkansas Pecan Production Report was released Oct. 11. Arkansas Pecans: Pecan production in Arkansas, as of Oct. 1 is forecast at 2.3 million pounds, down 8 percent from the 2011 production of 2.5 million pounds. Improved pecan varieties are expected to account for 65 percent of the 2012 production, while the remaining 35 percent produced are from native and seedling varieties.

U.S. Pecans: The Oct. 1 United States forecast of pecan utilized production is 309 million pounds (utilized, in-shell basis), up 14 percent from last year’s crop. Improved varieties are expected to produce 253 million pounds or 82 percent of the total, while native and seedling varieties, at 56 million pounds, make up the remaining 18 percent.