Halloween is a fun holiday but it's also an important time to practice fire safety, according to a spokesman with the Pine Bluff Fire & Emergency Services Department.

Halloween is a fun holiday but it’s also an important time to practice fire safety, according to a spokesman with the Pine Bluff Fire & Emergency Services Department.

The fire department encourages everyone to follow these safety tips for Halloween:

• If you buy a costume, make sure the label says “flame resistant,” meaning the costume will be hard to catch on fire and if it does, the fire will go out fast.

• Home-made costumes shouldn’t be big and baggy so that the material doesn’t touch candles or other flames. Use flame-resistant fabrics, such as polyester and nylon. These materials will resist burning if exposed to a flame.

• Tell kids to stay away from candles and jack-o’-lanterns that may be on steps and porches. Their costumes could catch fire if they get too close. Kids should never carry candles when they are trick-or-treating. Always use a flashlight, flameless candle or light stick. Tell kids to let you know right away if they see other kids playing with matches or lighters.

• Don’t use candles for decorations. They’re dangerous, especially when left unattended. Use only decorative lights tested for safety by a recognized testing laboratory. Check lights for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections. Throw away damaged sets. Don’t overload extension cords.

• Check the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s website for the latest on Halloween-related consumer product recalls.

• If you have a Halloween party, check for cigarettes under furniture cushions and in areas where people were smoking before you go to bed.

• Remove any materials around your home or property, such as garbage or excess vegetation, which an arsonist could use to start a fire.