A house fire at 1921 E. Sixth Ave. caused significant damage to the residence but no injuries to the occupants Thursday afternoon.

A house fire at 1921 E. Sixth Ave. caused significant damage to the residence but no injuries to the occupants Thursday afternoon.

First reported at 3:30 p.m., the fire forced a couple and their five children to flee the residence after unsuccessful attempts to put out the fire by the occupants, according to spokesman Lt. Harold Clark of the Pine Bluff Fire and Emergency Services Department.

At the scene, resident Lasonji Lafayette said the AC/heater caught on fire. Anthony Price, who also lives at the residence, said he tried to use a fire extinguisher but it was jammed and didn’t work.

Next door neighbor Carlton Buie said he walked outside and saw the heavy smoke. After making sure everybody was out of the house, he called 911.

Clark said that the cause of the fire was determined to have been a faulty window mounted heater/air conditioner unit that caused extensive smoke damage throughout the house and fire damage to the living room where the unit was located.

“The Red Cross was sent to the scene to coordinate assistance for the displaced family,” Clark said. “Entergy was dispatched to cut power to the residence so the family won’t be able to stay there.”

Clark said that Battalion Chief Scott Moore as well as firefighters from Stations 1, 2 and 4 and a rapid intervention team from Station 3 were involved in fighting the fire.

“The rapid intervention team is on standby to assist firefighters who may become disabled while fighting the fire,” Clark said. “Altogether there were 15 personnel involved today.”

Special correspondent Bo Rogers contributed to this article.