A 30-year-old man accused in the shooting death of his girlfriend Friday morning questioned his arrest during a court hearing Tuesday.

A 30-year-old man accused in the shooting death of his girlfriend Friday morning questioned his arrest during a court hearing Tuesday.

“Why are they blaming me?” Jamie Gutierrez said during the hearing before Jefferson County District Judge Kim Bridgforth. “Check the gun. Check my hands. I loved her very much.”

Gutierrez is accused in the shooting death of Cynthia Verdun, 37, who was pronounced dead inside a trailer at 1719 S. Ohio St. at 4:49 a.m. Friday. Chief Deputy Coroner David Westbrook listed the cause of death as an apparent gunshot wound to the upper body.

Testifying at the hearing, Detective Steven Rucker said that when officers arrived, they found Gutierrez sitting in the living room with gunshot wounds to his leg and elbow, and found Verdun laying on a bed with a wound to the face.

Rucker said Gutierrez told police he was lying in bed facing the wall with Verdun lying beside him asleep when he felt a pain in his calf and heard gunshots and dogs barking.

Police found bullet holes in the trailer, but couldn’t determine how long they had been there.

Rucker said Gutierrez was taken to Jefferson Regional Medical Center where he was treated and released.

Sheriff’s Deputy Israel Romero was called to assist Rucker because Romero speaks Spanish, and Rucker said Gutierrez’s “story didn’t work out.”

Rucker said that if Verdun had been lying on the side of the bed Gutierrez said she was on, “the bullets would have had to go through him to hit her.”

Additionally, police reported finding a .25-caliber handgun and a .12-gauge shotgun in the trailer, and Rucker said the handgun had one live round in the chamber and three in the magazine. A .25-caliber shell casing was found inside the trailer.

A large stuffed animal was also found with a bullet hole through it and stuffing falling out, and according to Rucker, the medical examiner found stuffing in Verdun’s wound to the head.

Romero testified that when he translated for Rucker, Gutierrez “didn’t appear to be worried,” and “made several different statements on how the shooting occurred.”

When Gutierrez was taken to the detective office to be questioned, Romero quoted him as saying “if he told the truth, he would get locked up.”

Lt. Terry Hopson testified that when police questioned neighbors, they reported hearing gunshots, but no dogs barking, which contradicted with the story Gutierrez told.

Additionally, they received information that Verdun had been in contact with her former husband, who lives in Georgia, and was talking about going back there.

“Mr. Gutierrez had every opportunity to come forward and he didn’t do so,” Hopson said.

Hopson also testified that “there’s a lot of information we don’t have yet,” referring to evidence collected at the scene that will be sent to the State Crime Laboratory, as well as a report from the medical examiner’s office on the autopsy results.

Asked by Deputy Prosecutor Maxie Kizer about Gutierrez’s legal status, Hopson said detectives have not been able to determine “if he is in the country legally,” and he is being held for immigration officials until that is cleared up.

Additionally, Hopson said officers “can’t find any criminal history. Not even a speeding ticket.”

Chief Deputy Prosecutor Wayne Juneau asked Judge Kim Bridgforth to set a $500,000 cash-only bond for Gutierrez on a charge of first-degree murder and Bridgforth agreed.

Family members of Gutierrez said they would hire an attorney for him.