An Entergy employee working in the area spotted a house fire Tuesday afternoon in west Pine Bluff.

An Entergy employee working in the area spotted a house fire Tuesday afternoon in west Pine Bluff.

No one was injured in the incident and no one was home. Firefighters were able to force entry into the two-story tan house at 5619 W. 9th Ave. and quickly extinguish the fire.

“They managed to get it out before it spread to other rooms or upstairs,” said Lt. Harold Clark, spokesman for the Pine Bluff Fire and Emergency Services Department, noting that it was lucky that Entergy employee Donald Smith spotted the smoke and called the fire department. “In an isolated area like this, it could have easily gone unnoticed. Ten to 15 more minutes, and the house could have been fully involved.”

The fire was also slowed because all of the windows and doors to the house were shut tight, reducing the amount of oxygen available that would have helped spread the fire. Harold said the fire was still smoldering and had not reached the point of having large flames when firefighters arrived on scene. Firefighters from Station 5, which covers the area, were the first to arrive.

The fire was ruled accidental by Fire Marshal Capt. Fred Tisdale. The Red Cross was notified to provide assistance to the family.