Hunter goes 4 for 9 in 19-inning defeat

TORONTO — Torii Hunter led Detroit with four of its 22 hits, but it would take 10 extra innings before a team could score the decisive run Sunday as Toronto won 6-5.

The game lasted 6 hours and 37 minutes, setting a Blue Jays record in time as well as in innings. Hunter, of Pine Bluff, went 4 for 9 with no RBIs, while Jose Reyes did the same and drove in two for Toronto.

David Price took the hard-luck no-decision after striking out six and allowing five hits (one home run) in six full innings. Rick Porcello suffered the loss after allowing the winning score on three hits.

Detroit led 5-0 through four innings before Toronto surged back with two runs each in the sixth and seventh innings and the tying run in the ninth.

Hunter and the Tigers visited the Pittsburgh Pirates on Monday.

Hunter Jr. out 4-6 weeks

NOTRE DAME, Ind. — Notre Dame wide receiver Torii Hunter Jr. is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a Grade 3 groin tear, CSNChicago.com reported.

Hunter, a former four-star recruit and the son of native Pine Bluff slugger Torii Hunter, missed all of the 2013 season with a broken leg.

NBCSports.com reports Hunter Jr. may have broken into the Fighting Irish’s rotation working as a slot receiver before the latest injury.

Hunter Jr.’s brothers, Money and Darius, play football at Arkansas State and Blinn (Texas) College, respectively. They played high school football in Prosper, Texas.


Bears reinstate tight end Bennett

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. — The Chicago Bears reinstated tight end Martellus Bennett from his suspension on Sunday.

The Bears suspended and fined Bennett on Tuesday following a practice fight in which he slammed first-round pick Kyle Fuller to the ground.

Bennett missed two practices and Friday night’s preseason opener against the Eagles.

"I think I could have handled the situation differently," said Bennett. "We could talk about it right now, but, really, any way differently from what I did."

Vikings’ Joseph: ‘Innocent bystander’

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — After being shot by a stray bullet at a night club on Friday night, Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Linval Joseph released a statement on Sunday saying he was an "innocent bystander."

Joseph was struck in the calf by a stray bullet while at the 400 SoundBar club in downtown Minneapolis after the team’s 10-6 win over the Oakland Raiders. He was released from a local hospital shortly after receiving treatment and is expected to rejoin the team later this week.

"I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and concerns over the past 24 hours," said Joseph in the statement released by the team. "I am extremely thankful that this was a minor injury for me. As the team has communicated, this was an unfortunate situation where I, along with several others, was an innocent bystander to a senseless act. My thoughts are with all of the victims at this time. I am looking forward to getting back onto the field with my teammates in the near future."

— Staff and wire reports