A Pine Bluff man accused in the shooting death of another man last week denied any involvement when he was interviewed by police.

Curtis Beavers Jr., 34, said he was not there at the time Theodis Morris was shot and only arrived after the police were on the scene.

The body of Morris, 47, was found in front of Apartment 7 at 1320 S. Maple St., and he was pronounced dead at the scene by Jefferson County Coroner Chad Kelley. The cause of death was listed as multiple gunshot wounds to the upper body.

Pine Bluff Detective Steve Rucker said in a probable cause affidavit that police were initially sent to the apartments at 1301 S. Maple St., and when they could not find anything there, went down the street to 1320 S. Maple St., where they found Morris.

Family members told detectives that Morris had gotten paid recently and his money and wallet were missing.

Investigators also located several spent shell casings on the parking lot, as well as witnesses who said they were present and who identified Beavers as the one who killed Morris.

Rucker reported that the witnesses said Beavers was in the parking lot when Morris went to approach him. They said Beavers pulled a handgun from his waist and started shooting Morris, who tried to flee to his apartment. After the shooting, Beavers drove away in a white passenger car.

Beavers came to the Detective Office on Wednesday after learning that detectives were looking for him, and after waiving his right to an attorney, said he was not at the apartments when Morris was shot. He was arrested at that time.

He was booked into the adult detention center on probable cause of capital murder but on Friday, Jefferson County District Judge Kim Bridgforth ruled prosecutors have probable cause to charge him with first-degree murder, and with being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Because he is currently on probation, bond for Beavers was set at $100,000 cash only.

Beavers was placed on probation stemming from an incident on July 8, 2017, when he fired shots while in a vehicle, with one of the shots hitting Jeremy Littleton in the abdomen. He was identified by witnesses who were shown a set of photos; Littleton was able to tell police the first name of the man who shot him.

He was sentenced to 60 months probation after entering a plea to one count of first-degree battery and one count of discharging firearm from a vehicle.

The death of Morris was the 11th of the year in the Pine Bluff city limits.