The Arkansas Department of Health regulates the sale of food at establishments which include restaurants, bars, daycares, schools, grocery stores, convenience stores, bed and breakfast facilities, hotels/motels, mobile units and concession stands. Inspections are made unannounced by environmental health specialists.
Electronic copies of retail food inspection reports are available on the Arkansas Food Inspection Portal. To access the portal, visit the food protection page on the Arkansas Department of Health website at www.healthy.arkansas.gov.
The following are the results of food safety inspections conducted by the Jefferson County Health Unit:
• New China Town, 2801 Olive St., Suite 9-A. Date of inspection into complaint Oct. 2. No violations pertaining to complaint during inspection
• Jack Robey Junior High School, 4101 Olive St. Date of follow-up inspection Sept. 28. No violations reported.
• Mazzio’s Italian Eatery, 8110 SHERIDAN ROAD, White Hall. Date of inspection into complaint Sept. 28. No violations pertaining to complaint during inspection.
• Sweet Charliemays Catering/Cafe, 2622 W. 28th Ave. Date of follow-up inspection Sept. 28. Follow up inspection on previous violations. Previous violations corrected. Permit given.
• Chef Lee, 502 Mallard Loop. Date of follow-up inspection Sept. 27. Did not see thermometers in all the food coolers. Keep thermometers visible in all food coolers. Dead flies on fly traps. Remove traps when they are full. Back screen door is ajar and has openings to allow in pests. Repair the door to exclude pests. Chocolate fountain area foods are not protected from consumers by “Sneeze shields.” Food on display shall be protected from contamination from consumers. Plywood and cardboard are being used as work surfaces in preparation area. Replace these with approved, durable, non-absorbent and easily cleanable surfaces. Saw no sanitizer test strips. Get them to check sanitizer levels in 3rd sink, dish machine sanitizing cycle and wiping cloth water mixes. Cooks work surfaces and handles to walk in coolers and refrigerators are soiled. Clean these areas as soon as visibly soiled. Walls that are sheet rock in the preparation and storage areas are in disrepair and not cleanable. Refinish these walls as to be smooth and easily cleanable. Chest freezers in preparation area are in disrepair and not cleanable. Replace these.
• Heavenly Snow and Foods, 900 W. 35th Ave. Date of opening inspection Sept. 27. This establishment is okay to operate.
• Wendy’s, 2909 W. 28th Ave. Date of inspection Sept. 27. Observed raw chicken being thawed above onions in walk in cooler. Raw chicken should be stored below ready to eat foods. Some cold holding temperatures in two prep tables are out of safe temperature range. Time/Temperature Control for Safety (TCS) Foods shall be kept cold at a temperature of 41.0°F or below, as measured by an internal probe thermometer, to limit bacterial growth. Observed a leak in the three compartment sink pipes under sink. Pipes should be repaired so that it does not leak. Observed trash cans containing food residue not being covered while not in continuous use. Trash cans containing food residue should be covered when not in continuous use. Floors throughout facility are unclean and need to be cleaned. Some ceiling tiles in service sink area are damaged and need to be replaced.
• Love’s Travel Shop/Subway, 4800 U.S. 65 S. Date of inspection Sept. 21. Observed used wiping cloths sitting out on counter tops. Wiping cloths should be kept in a sanitizer solution between use. Observed trash cans containing food residue being stored uncovered while not in continuous use. Trash cans containing food residue should be covered when not in continuous use.
• TOPPS Teens, 1000 Townsend Park Drive. Date of inspection Sept. 21. Provide a supply of individual disposable towels or a continuous towel system that supplies the user with a clean towel or a heated-air drying device at each hand-washing sink in food preparation, toilet and ware-washing areas.
• Central Fish Market, 324 Walnut St. Date of follow-up inspection Sept. 20. Observation: A valid permit must be posted in view of the public. Corrective Action: Permits are not transferable to new owners. Obtain a valid permit to operate the retail food establishment in compliance with the law. Submit a food permit application immediately.