A $125,000 bond was set Thursday for a Malvern man accused of beating an elderly couple on Wednesday and sending both to the hospital. The man is currently in critical condition.

Pine Bluff District Judge John Kearney set the bond after ruling prosecutors have probable cause to charge Eddie King, 34, with two counts of first-degree battery.

According to a probable cause affidavit from Jefferson County Sheriff’s Investigator Johnathan Powell, a deputy was sent to the 6800 block of Wampler Spur Road in White Hall Wednesday to meet an installer from Dish Network Satellite who witnessed the incident.

The man said he was at the house when he saw someone he believed to be a plumber talking to the victims and then heard a scream.

He said he saw a man, later identified as King, had the woman in a headlock, and when her husband tried to intervene, he saw the man hit the husband in the head. He said when the man ran toward him, he ran to his van, drove away and called 911.

Powell reported that sheriff’s deputies were contacted by Sheridan Police Chief Jason Teague, who reported that he had responded to a medical call at Action Realty in Sheridan and found the victims, a male, 76, and a female, 66, in a truck.

He said the male was unresponsive and said the woman had driven to Sheridan because she did not know anybody in the White Hall or Pine Bluff area. She also said a man she knew as Dale was doing work at the house when he attacked the couple.

The owner of the company said Eddie Dale King had recently done work for him at the house. Teague arrested King at the request of Powell, and he was taken to the Jefferson County Jail, where he was questioned by Powell and Lt. John Bean. After being advised of his rights, King asked for an attorney and the questioning ended.

On Wednesday, the Dish Network technician was interviewed and told deputies that he saw the man, identified as King, talking to the couple and said it appeared that the husband was angry. He said he saw King choking the woman and saw King hit the husband with a hammer. He also identified King from a photo spread.

Powell reported that both the man and woman were taken to University Hospital at Little Rock, where on Wednesday afternoon the man was listed in critical condition with a head injury. The woman was listed as being stable but had been admitted with multiple injuries.

King, who said he would hire his own attorney, was ordered to have no contact with the couple until the case is settled.