The Arkansas Department of Health regulates the sale of food at establishments which include restaurants, bars, daycares, schools, grocery stores, convenience stores, bed and breakfast facilities, hotels/motels, mobile units and concession stands. Inspections are made unannounced by environmental health specialists.
Electronic copies of retail food inspection reports are available on the Arkansas Food Inspection Portal. To access the portal, visit the food protection page on the Arkansas Department of Health website at www.healthy.arkansas.gov.
The following are the results of food safety inspections conducted by the Jefferson County Health Unit:
• Tropical Smoothie Cafe, 502 Mallard Loop, Suite E. Date of follow-up inspection March 4. No violations reported.
• Walgreens, 4720 Dollarway Road. Date of inspection Feb. 28. Observed an accumulation of ice in the back of the front reach in freezer on box of food product. Reach in freezer should be repaired so that ice does not accumulate on boxes of food product.
• Country Donuts, 208 N. Blake St. Date of inspection Feb. 26. Wiping cloths shall be used as intended and in compliance with regulations pertaining to retail food establishment. Wiping cloths should be kept in sanitize solution after use.
• Dale’s Place, 14126 Dollarway Road. Date of inspection Feb. 26. Observed ice scoop being stored uncovered and directly on the top of the ice bin. Ice scoop should be stored in a way to prevent it from being contaminated.
• Ge Ge’s Restaurant, 1614 Brentwood Drive. Date of opening inspection Feb. 26. Okay to operate- permit given.
• Hot Rods, 201 S Main St. Date of inspection Feb. 26. Test strips not observed during time of inspection. Test strips must be available and used to test the strength of chemical sanitizing solutions.
• W.T. Cheney School, 2100 Ridgway Road. Date of inspection Feb. 26. Observation: All employee drinks in the food preparation area must have a lid and a straw. (Specific observation here) Corrective Action: Discontinue consuming food, use of unapproved beverage containers, or use of tobacco in food preparation or ware-washing area. Drink was discarded during time of inspection. Observation: Observed standing water under prep sink area. Corrective Action: The physical facilities shall be maintained in good repair.
• Kwik Chek, 800 N. Bryant St. Date of inspection Feb. 25. A hand washing sink shall be maintained so that it is accessible at all times for employee use, and do not use for purpose other than hand washing. This was corrected during time of inspection. Observation: Observed missing ceiling tiles in establishment. Ceiling needs to be repaired or replaced. Observation: Corrective Action: Observed missing floor tiles that need to be repaired or replaced. The physical facilities shall be maintained in good repair.
• Marie’s Catfish, mobile, 2109 Whippoorwill Lane. Date of inspection Feb. 25. Some parts of ceiling and walls are unclean and need to be cleaned.
• Pine Bluff Food Mart LLC, 3402 Old Warren Road. Date of inspection Feb. 25. wiping cloths were observed sitting on the counters in the kitchen. Wiping cloths shall be used as intended and in compliance with regulation pertaining to retail food establishment. Observation: All trash can need lids. Only need lids if they food residue and are not in continuous use. Observation: Some ceiling tiles in ware-washing area are damged or missing and need to be replaced. Corrective Action: The physical facilities shall be maintained in good repair.
• CFA - ARAMARK, 1301 L.A. Davis Prexy Drive. Date of inspection Feb. 22. A hand-washing sink should not be used for any other purpose than hand washing. A hand-washing sink shall be maintained so that it is accessible at all times for employee use, and do not use for purposes other than hand washing. Wiping cloths were obsrved sitting on the counters in the kitchen. Wiping cloths shall used as intended and in compliance with regulation pertaining to retail food establishment. Wiping cloths were placed in sanitize solution during time of inspection.
• Olive Mart, 2202 S. Olive St. Date of inspection Feb. 15. Observed ice bags without label. Food packaged in retail food establishment, shall be labeled as specified in law. Observation: Observed no hot water at hand-washing sink. Hot water generation and distribution system shall be sufficient to meet the peak hot water demands throughout the retail food establishment.
• Olive Mart, 2202 S. Olive St. Date of follow-up inspection March 12. All violations corrected during time of follow-up inspection.
• Ridgway Christian School, 3201 Ridgway Road. Date of follow-up inspection March 12. All violations corrected during time of follow-up inspection.
• HR Food Mart, 201 Edline, Altheimer. Date of inspection March 11. Observation: Observed chicken sitting on in sink. Corrective Action: Time/Temperature Control for Safety (TCS) Food shall be thawed (A) Under refrigeration that maintains the FOOD temperature at 41°F or less, (B) Completely submerged under running water 70°F or less with enough velocity to float off loose particles down the drain and maintains the food above 41°F, or (C) as part of the cooking process. Chicken was placed cooler during time of inspection. NC Ice should be properly labeled with store information where it was package. Food packaged in retail food establishment, shall be labeled as specified in law. Observed rodents during time of inspection. The premises shall be free of insects, rodents, and other pests and measures must be taken to to eliminate their presence.
• Sam’s Southern Eatery, 7003 Dollarway Road. Date of inspection March 7. Paper towels jammed up in dispenser at hand sink. Corrected during assessment. Did not see thermometers in all food coolers. Keep them visible at all times. No hair restraints on preparation workers. Food workers shall wear hair restraints, beard restraints, and clothing that covers body hair Walls in hallway are not constructed as to be durable and easily cleanable. When remodeling, construct them to food service standards. Work tables and floors under them visibly soiled near cooking area. Clean these areas as needed or when visibly soiled. Observation: Restroom standing open. Install self closing devises on restroom doors. Walls in preparation and hall storage are in disrepair and not cleanable. Refinish these areas as to be smooth, non-absorbent, durable and easily cleanable when remodeling. Some light fixtures in preparation are missing protective shields. Properly shield them or install shatter proof bulbs. Observation: USA FOOD PROGRAM shows, “Business has expired license.” Corrective Action: It is unlawful to operate a retail food establishment without a valid permit. Contact the billing office at 501-661-2171 to ensure that you are in compliance with the law.