The Arkansas Department of Health regulates the sale of food at establishments which include restaurants, bars, daycares, schools, grocery stores, convenience stores, bed and breakfast facilities, hotels/motels, mobile units and concession stands. Inspections are made unannounced by environmental health specialists.
Electronic copies of retail food inspection reports are available on the Arkansas Food Inspection Portal. To access the portal, visit the food protection page on the Arkansas Department of Health website at www.healthy.arkansas.gov.
The following are the results of food safety inspections conducted by the Jefferson County Health Unit:
• Handy Mart, 6605 U.S. 79 South. Date of inspection July 24. Wiping cloths were observed sitting on the counters in the kitchen. Wiping cloths shall be used as intended and in compliance with Regulations pertaining to Retail establishment. Observation: Establishment does not have have testing strips to measure the concentration of the sanitizing solution. Corrective Action: Test strips must be available and used to test the strength of chemical sanitizing solutions. Observation: Kitchen equipment has an accumulation of food residue. Prep area surface are unclean. Kitchen equipment and prep area shall be cleaned at a frequency necessary to preclude any accumulation of food residue.
• Subway, 1620 Main St., #A. Date of inspection July 24. Active managerial controls to maintain food safety not observed during time of inspection. Ready to eat foods on preparation table not time marked. Must use time as health control because cold hold preparation unit is holding products above 41 degrees. Manager is to discard any product not served by 12:00 noon and time mark products until preparation cooler is replaced. Observation: All items on sandwich preparation table above 41 degrees. Corrective Action: Time/Temperature Control for Safety (TCS) Foods shall be kept cold at a temperature of 41.0°F or below, as measured by an internal probe thermometer, to limit bacterial growth. All items on sandwich preparation table are above 41 degrees. Time mark items from walk in cooler when placed in preparation cooler. Discard all unused product from preparation table if not used within 4 hours. Items currently on table are to be discarded at 12:00 noon if not used by then.
• Wendy’s, 2910 Pines Mall Drive. Date of inspection July 24. Employee was noticed scooping ice with drink cups. Use the scoop to prevent accidental bare hand contact with ice in ice bin.
• Riverside Wing Thing (Wip Development LLC), 2010 Port Road. Date of follow-up inspection July 29. All critical violations corrected during time of inspection.
• Kentucky Fried Chicken, 2707 W. 28th Ave. Date of inspection July 15. Back area hand-washing sign missing. Must have a sign or poster that notifies food workers to wash their hands at all hand-washing sinks used by food workers and shall be clearly visible to food workers. Out of paper towels at front hand sink. Provide a supply of individual disposable towels or a continuous towel system that supplies the user with a clean towel or a heated-air drying device at each hand-washing sink in food preparation, toilet and ware-washing areas. Corrected. Bulk container near walk ins, floors in preparation areas and hot hold box near drive through are visibly soiled. Clean these areas.
• Kentucky Fried Chicken, 3002 Pines Mall Drive. Date of inspection July 25. Entire preparation area and walk in visibly soiled. Manager said they are to do a “Deep Clean” this weekend. Physical facilities visibly soiled. Manager said they are to do a :Deep Clean” over the weekend.
• Saracen Q Store,3513 Market St. Date of opening inspection July 30. No violations reported.
• Saracen Cinema 8, 2901 Pines Mall Drive #500. Date of inspection July 25. Observation: No sanitizer test strips. Corrective Action: Test strips must be available and used to test the strength of chemical sanitizing solutions.