A proposed ordinance that would require downtown property owners to obtain a “Certificate of Appropriateness” from the Pine Bluff Historical District Commission before making applying for a permit to restore, rehab or demolish a building will be read for the first time when the city council meets Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.


The meeting was moved to Tuesday because of the Labor Day Holiday.


Sponsored by Council Member Bruce Lockett, the proposed ordinance requires that applicants who are seeking permits from city departments such as Code Enforcement or Inspection complete an application which will include an affirmation that the property is within the downtown historical district and that the Downtown Historical District Commission has signed off on the proposed changes to or demolition of the property.


Lockett is also the sponsor of a proposed ordinance to amend the city’s no smoking ordinance and prohibit smoking at the Saracen Casino which is currently under construction and is expected to open in 2020.


That proposed ordinance, up for the first reading, received a do-not pass recommendation from two of the three members of the council’s Health and Welfare Committee during a meeting Tuesday. Committee Chairman Council Member Donald Hatchett and Council Member Ivan Whitfield cast no votes while Lockett was the only member of the committee to favor approval.


Up for a third and final reading is a proposed ordinance that would allow Union Pacific Railroad to close street crossings on Fourth Avenue and Pine Street on the west side of Main Street and State and Alabama Streets on the east side of Main Street. If the ordinance is approved, motorists would still be able to cross the railroad tracks at the Main Street crossing, as well as Convention Center Drive, which is five blocks east of Main, and Walnut Street, which is five blocks west of Main.


Council member Steven Mays has voiced his opposition to the proposed ordinance.


Also on the agenda Tuesday is a resolution officially naming Fire Station Six located in the Dollarway area for retired Fire and Emergency Services Capt. Norris Williams, who worked for the fire department for 30 years. The council’s Public Safety Committee approved the idea without opposition when they met last month.


A resolution supporting the efforts of the Pine Bluff Aviation Commission to seek a grant from the Federal Aviation Administration and the Arkansas Department of Aeronautics to relocate a parallel taxiway at the Pine Bluff Regional Airport.


According to the resolution, the estimated cost of the project is $1,990,770 and the grant from the FAA would cover 90 percent of the total cost with the city required to fund the remaining 10 percent. That 10 percent may be reimbursable from the Arkansas Department of Aeronautics.


Finally Tuesday, a resolution appointing Duncan A. Bellingrath to the Pine Bluff/Jefferson County Board will be considered. He would succeed John Peter Ahlgrim whose term has expired and would serve until Aug. 31, 2022.