The Arkansas Department of Health regulates the sale of food at establishments which include restaurants, bars, daycares, schools, grocery stores, convenience stores, bed and breakfast facilities, hotels/motels, mobile units and concession stands. Inspections are made unannounced by environmental health specialists.
Electronic copies of retail food inspection reports are available on the Arkansas Food Inspection Portal. To access the portal, visit the food protection page on the Arkansas Department of Health website at www.healthy.arkansas.gov.
The following are the results of food safety inspections conducted by the Jefferson County Health Unit:
• Kinder Prep Christian Academy, 908 S. Cherry St. Date of inspection Aug. 30. Observation: Need to clean walls in establishment. The physical facilities shall be cleaned as often as necessary to keep them clean.
• Big Chief Wings Express, 1106 W. 16th Ave. Date of opening inspection Aug. 29. Establishment is okay to operate.
• Precious Hearts Student Center, 1611 Brentwood Drive. Date of inspection Aug. 29. Observed zero foot candles in the kitchen area. Shall be 50 foot candles at a surface where a food employee is working with food.
• New China Town, 2801 Olive St., #9-A. Date of inspection Aug. 28. Bulk containers not labeled as of contents. Food not in the original packages for use in Establishment must be identified with the common name of the Food. Cooks with no hair restraints. Food workers shall wear hair restraints, beard restraints, and clothing that covers body hair. Some equipment, preparation coolers, cookers ect… visibly soiled. Clean visibly soiled equipment. Floor in disrepair near dish washer. Repair as to be easily cleanable. Observation: Walls visibly soiled in preparation area. Corrective Action: Clean the physical facilities as often as necessary to keep them clean.
• Sam’s Southern Eatery, 7003 Dollarway Road. Date of inspection Aug. 28. Cut tomatoes, shrimp and beef in preparation cooler 42 degrees. Keep lid closed on this unit unless it is actively being used. Did see thermometers in all food coolers. Keep them visible at all times. Bulk containers not labeled as of contents. Food not in the original packages for use in Establishment must be identified with the common name of the Food. Cook with no hair restraint. Food workers shall wear hair restraints, beard restraints, and clothing that covers body hair. Walls/Ceilings in hallway storage area are not constructed to food code. Remodel them as to be durable, smooth, light colored, non absorbent and easily cleanable. East wall by cooking station also. All of the equipment in preparation area is visibly soiled. Coolers, warmers, cookers, cabinets and tables. Clean all soiled equipment and keep a cleaning schedule. Rest room doors standing open. Install self closing devices on rest room doors. Observation: Entire preparation and storage area is soiled with grease and meal/flour. Corrective Action: Clean the physical facilities as often as necessary to keep them clean. Ceiling joist exposed in hallway storage. Remodel to enclose joist. Observation: USA Food Program shows, “Business has expired license.” Corrective Action: It is unlawful to operate a retail food establishment without a valid permit. Contact the billing office at 501- 661-2171 to ensure that you are in compliance with the law.