Belmont Missionary Baptist Church and Cemetery at Moscow was added to the Arkansas Register of Historic Places as of December.
The Jefferson County site was among several added to the state list, according to a news release from the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program (AHPP.)
“The property is representative of small, rural African-American churches and cemeteries in the South, and is roughly two acres in size,” according to the nomination form.
“Buried within the confines of the cemetery are some of the early-freed men and women to settle in this part of Jefferson County,” according to the nomination. “There are twelve marked burials within the cemetery, which all took place between 1904 and 1929, but there are an unknown number of unmarked graves on the site as well.”
The AHPP State Review Board met Dec. 4 at the headquarters of Arkansas Heritage at Little Rock and reviewed submissions for both the Arkansas Register of Historic Places and National Register of Historic Places. One property was approved for the Arkansas Register and 13 submissions will move on to the National Park Service for consideration at the federal level, according to a news release.
The board also approved the Joe Marsh Clark House at Fayetteville to move forward for National Register consideration.
The Joe Marsh Clark House was designed and constructed by renowned architect Euine Fay Jones between 1959 and 1961, according to the release.
“The design of the house reflects the philosophy and principles of organic design that characterized Fay Jones’s architectural career,” according to the nomination. “The design also reflects his focus on details that fit within the overall design aesthetic of each project and the beauty of native natural materials nestled within the Arkansas landscape, a consideration especially important for the Clarks, who were passionate about understanding and preserving the right natural heritage of the Ozarks.”
The additional properties which will be considered for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places include: Dante House, Dumas, Desha County; Downs Historic District, Little Rock; Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church, Little Rock; Alexander House, Little Rock; Maumelle River Bridge, Natural Steps (vicinity), Pulaski County; Bennett House, Benton, Saline County; Lano Gymnasium, Lano, Hot Spring County; Ellis Williamson House, Brinkley, Monroe County; Patteson House, Jonesboro, Craighead County; Lee Grocery Store, Elaine, Phillips County; Mountain Home Cemetery Historic Section, Mountain Home, Baxter County; amd John G. Williams House #2, Fayetteville, Washington County.
“I was very proud of the passion for preservation displayed by residents of Elaine during the nomination process for the Lee Grocery,” said Stacy Hurst, Secretary of the Arkansas Department of Parks Heritage and Tourism and the State Historic Preservation Officer. “The structure was built around 1915 and is possibly the oldest surviving commercial structure in that city. It is now owned by Waves of Prayer, a 501c3 that hopes to restore the structure and create a museum and visitor center.”
Criteria for nominations and other details are available at www.arkansaspreservation.com.