The Arkansas Department of Health regulates the sale of food at establishments which include restaurants, bars, daycares, schools, grocery stores, convenience stores, bed and breakfast facilities, hotels/motels, mobile units and concession stands. Inspections are made unannounced by environmental health specialists.
Electronic copies of retail food inspection reports are available on the Arkansas Food Inspection Portal. To access the portal, visit the food protection page on the Arkansas Department of Health website at www.healthy.arkansas.gov.
The following are the results of food safety inspections conducted by the Jefferson County Health Unit:
• HANK’S GET N GO, 3201 Kendyl St. Date of opening inspection Feb. 4. Water holding tank needs to be cleaned and sanitized before first use. Facility lacks refrigerator thermometer. Food temperature measuring device shall be provided and readily accessible for use in ensuring attainment and maintenance of food temperature.
• WALGREENS, 4720 Dollarway Road. Date of inspection Feb. 4. Facility lacks refrigerator thermometer. Food temperature measuring device shall be provided and readily accessible for use in ensuring attainment and maintenance of food temperature. Observed an accumulation of ice in the back of the front reach-in freezers on boxes of food product. Reach in freezer should be repaired so that ice does not accumulate on boxes of food product.
• EAGLE EXPRESS Address: 2800 S. Olive St. Date of inspection Feb. 3. Observed boxes of food items stored directly on the floor. Food must be stored at least six inches above the floor.in compliance with established regulations.
• HANDY MART, 6605 U.S. 79 South. Date of inspection Feb. 3. Observation: Facility lacks test strips. Corrective Action: Test strips must be available and used to test the strength of chemical sanitizing solutions. Observation: Counter tops are unclean in kitchen area. Nonfood contact surfaces shall be cleaned at frequency necessary to preclude accumulation of soil residues.
• J-MART STORE, 13800 Dollarway Road, White Hall. Date of follow-up inspection Feb. 3. Ice bagged in store is not properly labeled. Ice bagged in store should have store identifying information on them. Observed small openings in back room. All outer openings of a food establishment should be protected against the entry of insects and rodents. Ice machine interior damaged and needs to be repaired. NC Counter tops and shelves throughout store are unclean and need to be cleaned. Restroom door is not self closing. A toilet room located on the premises shall be completely enclosed and provided with a tight-fitting and self-closing door. Some ceiling tiles and floor tiles are damaged or missing and need to be replaced. Some ceiling tiles and floors throughout establishment are unclean and need to be cleaned.
• TERRYS TOTS AND TODDLER, 9408 Dollarway Road. Date of inspection Feb. 3. Observed dishes being dried on wiping cloth. After cleaning and sanitizing, equipment and utensils shall be air dried and may not be cloth dried. Observed single use containers being reused to store food in. Single use containers should not be reused.
• KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN, 3002 Pines Mall Drive, P.O. Box 789705. Date of follow-up inspection Jan. 31. Thermometer for meat walk in cooler is not working properly. Ambient air and water temperature measuring devices should be accurate within 3 degrees Fahrenheit of the intended range. Floors in walk in freezer and dry storage area are unclean and need to be cleaned. Some ceiling tiles in establishment are missing or damaged and need to be replaced.
• JACK ROBEY JUNIOR HIGH, 4101 Olive St. Date of inspection Jan. 30. Observed a leak in hot well on create side. Hot well needs to be repaired so that it is free of leaks. Some ceiling tiles in ware washing area are missing and need to be replaced.
• SOUTHWOOD ELEMENTARY, P.O. Box 7678. Date of inspection Jan. 30. Sanitizer not observed at automatic dishwasher. Sanitizer should be provided to properly sanitize the dishes in the automatic dishwasher. Chlorine based sanitizer was provided during inspection at 50ppm. Observed a leak in the pipes under the three compartment sink and pipes under the automatic dishwasher. Pipes should be repaired or replaced to prevent leaks. Some parts of ceiling throughout kitchen are unclean and need to be cleaned.