The Arkansas Department of Health regulates the sale of food at establishments which include restaurants, bars, daycares, schools, grocery stores, convenience stores, bed and breakfast facilities, hotels/motels, mobile units and concession stands. Inspections are made unannounced by environmental health specialists.
Electronic copies of retail food inspection reports are available on the Arkansas Food Inspection Portal. To access the portal, visit the food protection page on the Arkansas Department of Health website at www.healthy.arkansas.gov.
The following are the results of food safety inspections conducted by the Jefferson County Health Unit:
• BLAKE STREET FISH MARKET, 1130 S. Blake St. Date of inspection April 6. Observed seasoning in bulk containers not labeled. Food packaged in Retail Food Establishment shall be labeled as specified in law. Cutting boards should be resurfaced or replaced. Front three compartment sink is unclean and needs to be cleaned. Outside of fryer equipment, refrigerator, and shelving throughout kitchen are unclean and need to be cleaned. Observed trash cans containing food residue uncovered while not in continuous use. Trash cans in kitchen area containing food residue need to be covered when not in continuous use. Floors, walls, and ceilings throughout kitchen are unclean and need to be cleaned. Floors throughout kitchen, walls, especially near front door and by back door, and ceiling throughout kitchen are damaged and need to be repaired. Vent hood is unclean and needs to be cleaned.
• BEST WESTERN PRES HOTEL, U.S. 65 and Market St. Date of inspection March 6. Observed no hand-washing sink. Provide hand-wash sinks as necessary for convenient use by employees in food preparation and ware-washing areas and toilet rooms.
• DOLLAR GENERAL STORE, 9001 U.S. 270, White Hall. Date of inspection March 6. Seal on ice cream freezer door is broken and needs to be repaired.
• R B OF LITTLE ROCK INC., dba TOWN & COUNTRY, 5000 Middle Warren Road. Date of inspection March 6. Observation: No test strips available in establishment. Corrective Action: Test strips must be available and used to test the strength of chemical sanitizing solutions.
• SAM’S SOUTHERN EATERY, 1704 E. Harding Ave. Date of inspection March 6. Did not see thermometers in all the food coolers. Keep them visible at all times. Bulk containers visibly coated with product. Clean bulk containers. Food workers preparing food without proper hair restraints. Food workers shall wear hair restraints, beard restraints, and clothing that covers body hair. Replace plastic sheeting that is torn on breading station. Some equipment, cookers/ice machine top visibly soiled. Keep equipment clean to sight and touch. Observation: Some areas of physical facility visibly soiled. Corrective Action: Clean the physical facilities as often as necessary to keep them clean. Observation: USA Food Program shows, “business has expired license.” Corrective Action: It is unlawful to operate a retail food establishment without a valid permit. Contact the billing office at 501-661-2171 to ensure that you are in compliance with the law.
• SHIPLEY’S, 2720 S. Hazel St. Date of inspection into complaint April 9. No violations pertaining to complaint during time of inspection.
• LAKEVIEW FAST MART FOOD & FUEL, 100 N. Walnut St. Date of inspection April 8. Observed wraps and ribs in hot case in establishment that were not from an approved source. Discontinue sale and use of all foods from unapproved sources. Employee discarded food during inspection and the inspector informed him that it was not to be sold if it was not from an approved source. Chicken wrap (101 degrees F) and cheeseburger wrap (100 degrees F) are out of safe temperature range. Time/Temperature Control for Safety (TCS) Foods shall be kept hot at a temperature of 135.0°F or above, as measured by an internal probe thermometer, to limit bacterial growth. Food in hot box was discarded during inspection. Milk (46 degrees F) in walk in refrigerator is out of safe temperature range. Time/Temperature Control for Safety (TCS) Foods shall be kept cold at a temperature of 41.0°F or below, as measured by an internal probe thermometer, to limit bacterial growth. Ice bagged in store is not properly labeled. Bagged ice should be labeled with identifying store information. Observed three compartment sink being used for storage. Three compartment sink should be cleaned out and used to properly wash, rinse, and sanitize dishes. No test strips observed in establishment. Test strips must be available and used to test the strength of chemical sanitizing solutions. Floors, especially in dry storage room, are unclean and need to be cleaned. Observed damaged ceiling tiles in dry storage room. Damaged ceiling tiles need to be replaced.
• PINE BLUFF SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL, 10th Avenue and Laurel Street. Date of inspection April 8. Automatic dishwasher is not properly sanitizing dishes with hot water. Dishes were taken to be sanitized at three compartment sink during inspection. Manager told inspect that today (April 8) would be the last day to use this kitchen for the school year and they were going to work on repairs for the next school year. Mayonnaise (56 degrees F) in reach in refrigerator is out of safe temperature range. Time/Temperature Control for Safety (TCS) Foods shall be kept cold at a temperature of 41.0°F or below, as measured by an internal probe thermometer, to limit bacterial growth. Food in reach in refrigerator was discarded during inspection. Manager told inspector that refrigerator has not been used in several weeks. Observed opened package of deli meat being held in refrigerator for more than 24 hours with no date marking. Deli meat that has been opened and held for more than 24 hours should be date marked and discarded after 7 days. Deli meat was discarded during inspection. Observed containers of milk being stored directly on the ground of the walk in cooler. Containers of milk should be stored at least 6 inches off of the floor. Walk in freezer door is not sealing properly. Walk in freezer door should be repaired so that it properly closes to maintain temperatures. Reach in refrigerator has standing water in it. Reach in refrigerator should be cleaned.