• ONE PINE BLUFF PRAYING TOGETHER, a community gathering for people to pray for the healing, growth and prosperity of the city, will continue by conference call. Previously, citizens and leaders gathered for an Hour of Power from on Sundays at local churches. After the COVID-19 pandemic concerns, the prayers will now be offered by conference call, according to Mary Liddell, Pine Bluff Community Outreach coordinator. Sessions will continue in May, August, and November. The number is 978-990-5000 and the access code is 127365# Calls will be held from 6-7 p.m.
The May dates, the host churches and their pastors are:
May 3 — House of Bread Deliverance Church, 500 S. Main St., Saint Mary Harris, pastor and apostle.
May 10 — Hope Apostolic Faith Ministries, 5910 Carbon St., Elder Julius Wright Sr., pastor.
May 17 — St. Luke AME Church, 9908 Princeton Pike, the Rev. Hazel Linton, pastor.
May 24 — Hosanna Christian Church, 1500 N. Bryant St., the Revs. Louis Ross, senior pastor; the Rev. Jacqueline Ross, co- pastor.
May 31 — Destiny Worship Center, 4700 W. 28th Ave., the Rev. Kourtney Smith, pastor.
• NEW COMMUNITY CHURCH, 321 N. Birch St., will give away food in a drive-thru event for the community beginning at 7 a.m. Friday, May 1. ID won’t be required, according to a spokeswoman. “This will be a drive-through, pop your trunk pick up,” she said. “It will be loaded into your trunk and there is no need to get out of your car.”
• ST. JOHN AME CHURCH, 1117 W. Pullen Ave., will start providing free lunch on Saturdays only from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. beginning May 2. Meals will be served on the west side of the church in the carport. One lunch per person will be available. Social distancing is required and masks are also preferred, according to a news release.
• FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH PINE BLUFF, 6501 S. Hazel St., invites the public to the “Drive In Church” at 11 a. m. Sunday, May 3. Attendees won’t need to leave their vehicles, as the service will be broadcast to vehicle radios in the church parking lot. Participants will be told to tune their vehicle radios to a designated radio frequency. “Drive In Church” will be observed with all appropriate medical precautions. The service will also be on Facebook at www.facebook.com/FirstPineBluff/Live. First Baptist also broadcasts its services every Sunday on KLRT Fox 16 at 9 a.m.
• ST. JOHN AME CHURCH, 1117 W. Pullen Ave., is hosting a weekly prayer conference call and the community is invited to participate. The call will be held at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Participants must call in by 6:25 p.m. at 1-720-650-3030. The access code is 144-0205# . Details: www.facebook.com/St.JohnPineBluff.
• PLEASANT GROVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH, 1801 S. Indiana St., will continue to live stream its Sunday services at 10:45 a.m. May 3, 10 and 17. The Rev. Dennis W. Wilson, the pastor, will preach. To see the service, visit the website: pleasantgrovepb.com.
• GAIL STITH, A MINISTER OF PINE BLUFF, recently issued a challenge to everyone in Pine Bluff to have signs printed and posted with messages of encouragement from scriptures or positive sayings. The idea comes as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. People can post their signs and challenge others to do the same. Stith envisions the city being flooded with messages of hope, according to Stuff in The Bluff website.