The Rison Wildcats rallied on the legs of running back Jamarien Frye, who carried the ball 35 times for 268 yards and three touchdowns, after being down 28-14 at the half to defeat the Prescott Curley Wolves 42-40 in double overtime.

Rison head coach Clay Totty said after the game that his team isn’t the type to simply give up when things get tough.

“They worked all summer and our kids worked hard,” said Totty. “We were down two scores at the half, but we had great heart. That is what our program is based off of, grit and heart.”

Prescott opened the game recovering an onside kick, then scored on a 35-yard run by Jacalyn Zachary with 10:59 remaining in the opening quarter. A successful PAT gave the Curley Wolves the 7-0 advantage.

Rison took the lead following a 13-yard run by Jerrion Marshall with 4:33 left in the opening quarter. Marshall ran in the two-point conversion to give the Wildcats an 8-7 advantage.

Zachary hauled in his second score of the evening for the Curley Wolves on a 75-yard pass from Jacobi Nolen with 3:02 left in the opening quarter to make it 14-8, however Frye scored his first touchdown of the game with 47 second left in the opening quarter on a 17-yard run to tie it up at 14.

Prescott took the lead with 11:40 left in the first half on a 15-yard run by Nolen to go up 21-14. Derriun Thompson added a four-yard touchdown run with 3:29 remaining in the half to put Prescott up 28-14.

Totty said that he reminded his team that they are not a normal team during his halftime message.

“I told them that a lot of people were leaving the stadium because they think we are normal,” said Totty. “They thought we are the ordinary man. The ordinary man says to just play it out, but we aren’t ordinary, and we aren’t normal. We represent a proud tradition. Let’s go get back into the game and make it a fourth quarter game because we are comfortable in those type of games.”

Rison was able to get back into the game with 4:41 left in the third quarter when Marshall ran it in from two-yards out. A failed two-point conversion gave Prescott the 28-20 advantage.

Prescott went three and out on their next possession, allowing Rison to engineer a 10 play, 76-yard drive capped by a nine-yard run by Jaylon Henry with 8:38 remaining in the game. Frye added the two-point conversion to tie the game at 28.

Rison’s defense forced Prescott to go three and out again, giving the Wildcats a chance to take the lead late in the game, but Henry was sacked on 4th and Goal from the 10, giving Prescott the ball with 1:29 left in the game.

The Curley Wolves moved the ball down the field, and had a chance to win the game after Nolen completed a 20-yard pass to Derriun Thompson at the nine-yard line, but time expired in regulation before another snap could be made.

Rison won the coin toss and deferred the ball to open the first overtime. Prescott scored on a five-yard run by Alex George. A missed PAT by Luis Rabadan gave the Curley Wolves a 34-28 lead.

Rison tied the game on a one-yard run by Frye. The Wildcats attempted a two-point conversion for the win, but failed – sending the game to a second overtime.

Frye scored his third touchdown of the night on a five-yard run in the second overtime, then added the two-point conversion to give the Wildcats a 42-34 advantage.

Prescott responded when Nolen ran it in from 10-yards out on the first play of the drive. Alex George took the ball on the two-point attempt by Frye met him at the one-yard line, stopping him short of the goal line, allowing the Wildcats to claim the 42-40 victory.

Totty said Frye came up big for Rison, not only on offense.

“We sent him in there on a blitz on the last play,” said Totty. “I said ‘Can you do it one more time’. He couldn’t hardly open his eyes, but he said ‘Yeah coach, I can do it one more time.’ He went out and did it one more time. He has great heart, great heart.”

Jerrion Marshall ran the ball eight times for 70 yards and two touchdowns, while Jaylon Henry ran 12 times for 49 yards and a touchdown to assist Frye in the Wildcats victory.